Every business is carried out with one and only one purpose only – making money. Telecom business is also no different. After all the charges are applied and invoicing is done for the services used by a subscriber, the task of payment processing comes into the picture. Hence, it becomes very important for telecom billing services to pay special attention to the payment processing process.
The Importance of Payment Modes in Payment Processing
People have different preferences when it comes to making their bill payments. People with old-school beliefs still swear by making their payments via cash or cheque. There are others who are always faithful to their credit cards and never let go of an opportunity of using it (to avail credit card offers).
It has been seen that some customers are finicky about their favored payment methods, so much so, that they may decide to overlook a particular telecom vendor if it does not provide their preferred payment modes. Due to the varied preferences of telecom subscribers, it makes good business sense to incorporate all payment modes in a telecom billing service.
Classifying Telecom Billing Services Payment Modes
Telecom billing services payment modes can be classified into two categories:
- Manual payment mode – Manual payment modes are those payment methods that allow for acceptance of payment in currency or cheque. The payment can be made at a predefined place like a payment kiosk where a telecom company employee receives the money and updates it into the billing system.
- Automatic payment mode – A telecom billing service system can offer a facility to capture debit or credit card information and also automatic payment methods on monthly basis. For instances where automatic method is selected, the request for payment is generated automatically and then sent to the payment gateways for completing the authorization procedure. Once authorized, the account is settled and customers’ dues are removed from the system.
Settling Customer Disputes in Telecom Billing Services
When a customer raises a query regarding his bill and wants explanation for the charges, it is called a dispute. Disputes are part and parcel of any telecom billing service. Regardless of how sound a billing process is, there are bound to be disputes, however, disputes are a lot less when you use a sound telecom billing service. Disputes can be of two types:
- Against a bill
- Against a specific rated event
Once there is a dispute, a telecom vendor investigates the causes and comes to a conclusion. A dispute can have three outcomes depending on the result after investigation.
- Accept − If the customer is found to be right in investigation, the dispute will be accepted and his money will be refunded.
- Reject − If the bill or charge levied by the telecom vendor was correct, then the dispute is rejected and customer gets no monetary reimbursement.
- Cancel – Sometimes a dispute may be a result of an error. In this case, the dispute is cancelled.
Apart from providing the preferred billing mode to the customers, dispute handling is also important for any telecom billing service. Without effective dispute handling, it is possible that a telecom vendor would lose customers’ trust and incur huge losses in the longer run.